Thursday, February 3, 2011

City Literature

I just finished re-reading Pride and Prejudice, and am moving on the Fleshmarket Close by Ian Rankin.  Rankin's series about an Edinburgh detective are good little pulp mysteries, but are especially interesting because many of the scenes take place in areas I frequent.  The one I just finished, The Falls, took place almost completely in my neighborhood.
I've already talked about Elephant House in an earlier post, which is the cafe J.K. Rowling says she started writing Harry Potter in (and along with several other cafes nearby, was where she wrote the first book).  In honor of the inspiration Edinburgh had for the series, Rowling also finished it here, booking a suit at the Balmoral Hotel to complete the seventh book.  According to interviews, so wrote a message in an alcove in the room and signed it the night she finished the series.  If you ever book a suit at the Balmoral, don't forget to look!

I wanted to take a minute and plug the Inspector Rebus series as another great Edinburgh connection to modern fiction.  There's even an iPhone app that provides a Rebus-themed walking tour of the city!  I've already read Strip Jack and The Falls, and am starting Fleshmarket Close today.  If you're interested, read along with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment