Monday, October 25, 2010

Immersion Therapy

This weekend I attended New Scotland Country Dance's "Fresher's Weekend" in New Lanark.  I had an amazing time, met a bunch of amazing people, and I plan to write out a full post with pictures soon.
However, meeting great people and going to sleep 2 hours before the 8am wake-up call by live bagpipes does not a good blogger make.  So in the meantime:

On Sunday we got to dance at Bothwell Castle, which dates from the mid thirteenth century.  That was very, very, cool.  One of the things I love about the type of dance I do (here and in the states) is that you become immersed not only in something really fun but in a tradition that's been around for a long time.  There's something especially magical about attending a ball, and doing the same dances, in a town hall where dances were held during the Civil War...or dancing in the ruins of a thirteenth century castle, doing the modern evolution of dances that have been a part of the social life here for centuries.

Also, it was just a blast!


Ok, I promise I'm done being melodramatic now.  Here we are in the castle grounds where we danced.  I'm wearing a white shirt and red mini kilt, just right of center.

Real post tomorrow.  There were waterfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment