Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dancing and other Shenanigans

Last night I went to my very first (Scottish) ball, which had a very different dress code then nineteenth century balls at home.  I had a blast-learned some new dances, got to try dancing some of the ones I've been practicing in classes, and hung out with some wonderful and hilarious people.  Best of all, while there was a wide age range, in general the average age was early twenties.  There are very few dance events at home right now where this is the case-vintage dance isn't a part of the culture for uni kids the way it is here.  Also, I got to do Mairi's Wedding, which is at this point my favorite dance.
Here are some pictures from the EUNSCDS Beginners' Dance, plus a few other pictures from classes and general social time :)

At Chocolate Soup, which is a favorite for cold days


At Thursday classes.  We ran out of chairs...

In the process of acquiring the above picture, I gave the camera to Emma...

...who proceeded to play with it.


Obviously, we all dressed up a bit more for the ball.  Someone (I can't remember who) made the comment last week that "dance is a contact sport," and I really like that.  Which is why we're all shiny in these pictures. And why a few of them have kind of an ethereal glow.  While I would like to just say we're that angelic, it was actually so hot in the hall we fogged the lens!

Socializing during the raffle.  I just wanted to demonstrate the amount of tartan present.

some of my friends-I took a bunch during intermission so that I would have some pictures to post, since I was too busy dancing the rest of the night!






forming sets for a dance, with the band at the top


My dance card! Which was really more of a book: in addition to listing the order of dances, it also had four pages with all the dances written out so we could cram in between!

This is a little unrelated, but I'd been hearing about it from some of the experienced dancers.  A few years ago they did a performance piece to a Sound of Music medley...and I found it on youtube!  It's actually really neat:

No comments:

Post a Comment