Sunday, January 23, 2011

My First Ball at Which There is More Than One Accordion in the Band

Last night I went to the New Scotland Annual Dance, which was my first big formal event.  It was really daunting at first, because none of the dances were really taught on the floor the way I'm used to-instead, they would be called through once slowly enough that it could be walked quickly by the top couple, and then recapped.  The figures also weren't called during the dancing.
I made it through just fine, though!  I messed up, but everybody in the set worked together to make it through.  Here's a video of Yan Tan Tethera, one of the dances on the program:



While it was definitely a little stressful to learn dances on the fly that way, it was also really cool to get through them without a caller.  It was especially fun knowing that it would have been similarly done at 19th century balls, even though we do it rarely at vintage dance events.

No comments:

Post a Comment