Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Post-Essay Fun

My last essay of the semester is due on Thursday, and I'm almost done with it.  I've at least done as much as I can right now...so I'm taking a break and feeling very inspired.  As previously mentioned, I've gotten really into tartan as a historical fashion thing this year.  I've already planned out a tartan ballgown, but it's expanding into tartan for every period of the 19th century.  I've learned some really interesting things, though!
Here's a dress from the BBC series of Wives and Daughters, which is extra cute because there's some discussion in the show about how it's not a 'proper' tartan.
and here's a real one from a slightly earlier period (and by real I mean image of a fashion plate, sent to me by the wonderful author of this blog):

the hat makes this one

Thanks to Wives and Daughters, I've fallen in love with the ridiculousness of the 1820s:

Parisian Ladies, 1826
1820-1835


And you can never go wrong with a tartan sash...

1863

Queen Victoria, c. 1850s
This one is totally unrelated, and of a Colonel stationed in India, but how cool is he?!



I'm still digging up examples, so depending on how busy I am, I might post some more.  In the process of doing all this research, I learned that the US also has a long history with tartan-did you know that April 6 is National Tartan Day in America?
It's even an official holiday as of 2008.

Many states also have their own tartans, including Massachusetts, which has the 'bay state tartan'!
It's amazing what weird things you find out on the search for fashion references.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shout out to Antonia.

    Do you think you could make me a tartan suit for court - Mass Tartan of course!

    ReplyDelete