Wednesday, April 6, 2011

'Dressed to Kilt' Charity Fashion Show

So, I didn't actually attend this.  It would have been awesome if I had, but I was unaware of it until just now.  But in addition to being a runway show of many kilts, there was also lots of tartan on display! yay!  Apparently the theme this year was 'Country Chic: Where Scottish Couture Meets Country Cool'.  Some highlight pictures from the wacky world of Scotland-meets-the-Wild-Wild-West, courtesy of Tom and Lorenzo:

New York Giants players Danny Ware and Ahmad Bradshaw
A funny kilt story:  I was showing a friend Edinburgh this week (upcoming post on that!) and while she was combing the tourist shops for something to bring home, she said 'I really want one of those fur bags we've seen everywhere...you know the ones with the tassels?'
I thought about it for a minute.  'You mean the ones with the ones with the chains...those?' I pointed to a display of sporrans (a bag that men wear as part of Scottish formal dress around their waist with the bag sitting at the pelvis).
'Yeah!' she replied.
I then explained what a sporran was, and teased her mercilessly.

Richie Gray
I just saw Richie Gray play in the Scotland vs. Italy match, and he was named one of the most attractive players on the team by a couple of my friends.  He looks better when he's not covered in mud, I'll admit.  He's known for tackling men by grabbing their shorts.



Tartan ruffles!!

Apparently the show is an annual event part of 'tartan week' in New York, which I mentioned in an earlier post about tartan.  It is accompanied by a pop-up shop, and each year has a theme.  Here are some more pictures from past years:

TARTAN CAR!

actor Ed Westwick in the 2009 show
Tartan Chuck!! He's on Gossip Girl, which is my favorite trashy television show.  Also, the tartan he's sporting is one of my favorites aesthetically, but it isn't as cool historically as Dress Stuart, which I've talked about ad nauseum.



Swishy tartan gown thing!

I'm on such a tartan overload I can't even function.  Plus, I need to pack!  I leave for the Isle of Mull tomorrow morning.

For more on the Tartan Army in NYC, check out the pictures from last year's show here or watch the video from last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment