Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chapter One, the Flat under the Stairs...

Edinburgh is an amazing city, and so far my time here has been really fun and incredible.  I'll get back to you in a week and let you know if actually going to class has changed that at all.  Because I'm a visual person, and because being here is like walking into a novel, I'm just going to give you a quick show and tell about my first few days as an Edinburgh student, partaking in the university's 427th academic year.

I arrived last Wednesday at Pollack Halls, a housing area about 20 minutes from central campus, where we stayed for the exchange program orientation.  This building, part of campus facilities, was where our orientation meetings were held.  When I'd gotten my orientation schedule at home, I thought the fact we had a tea/coffee break every morning sounded so cute.  It was actually really necessary, since we were all exhausted and jet-lagged and in a hot room listening to speakers for hours! yay, caffeine!
These next few are all views from the streets we explored during the first few days.  Edinburgh is split into two sections: Old Town (mostly 13th-15th c) and New Town (17th c).  I live in Old Town, which is also where the two main castles are: Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood House, the current royal residence (when they come to Scotland).

New Town is home to the main clothing shop area on Prince's Street, which is sort of like New York's fifth avenue but smaller and prettier, because one side is the entrance to Prince's Street Garden, which is a lovely park.  In order to get from where I live to Prince's Street, you walk across a bridge.
The view from the bridge gives a really nice view of the different types of architecture in Old and New Town.  In one direction you can see towering medieval structures, monuments, and church spires, while straight ahead are the even stone buildings and decorative work of the Georgian buildings.



Also, I had heard that Edinburgh weather was terrible, that it was cold, that it rained a lot, and that is was pretty gloomy.  I think that's probably true in the winter-their days are shorter than I'm used to.  However, right now it's still early fall and while it's been chilly (definitely not the 90s I was used to at home!), we've only had rain twice and it was only for a few hours.  As you can see, most days I've been here have been really beautiful.  Of course, now that I've said that it's going to rain all week.


And I know not to expect the UK to be like it is on television, but sometimes little references are very exciting...
I swear I heard the tardis when we were touring the castle...but actually, these are everywhere.  Some have even been converted into coffee stands!  The streets here are really interesting.  There are buskers; everything from men in traditional dress with bagpipes, to circus acts...
to escapees from Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory drinking corona...
...to shops advertising testimonials from the Dark Lord himself!
(Funny, I always imagined Voldy drinking tea. hmm.)

No, but really, I can't stress enough how much it feels sometimes like this is too much of a fairytale to be true. Not the registering for classes bit-that's definitely real.  But where I actually get to study? Impossible.
For example, this is our student union building.  Doesn't it look like Hogwarts?!

And just in case you needed any more proof:






Told you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment