Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Summer Reading

I'm off today for Edinburgh!  I'm nervous and jittery, but mostly just excited.  I can't wait to begin exploring my new home and getting back to doing research and reading.  The American program I'm going to Edinburgh through, Arcadia University, organizes trips for us throughout the semester.  One of those has a literature theme, and includes lunch with a native Scottish author.  In preparation, we all read one of his books this summer and held an online book club.  I highly recommend One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night to anyone interested in action, comedy, or who is a fan of The Breakfast Club.

The novel is a very entertaining journey to a high school reunion gone horribly wrong.  Throughout the story, the point of view switches between several different characters, following the now-adult students to the "Floating Island Paradise Resort" where the reunion is held, as well as some of the organizers and a couple of mercenaries.
At some points I had a hard time following the dialog because of  all the local slang-but I better get used to it!  I'm very excited to meet the author, Christopher Brookmyre, in October.  I'll post about it after I go, so if anyone's interested in following along pick up a copy of One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night.




Wish me luck!  My next post will be from Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment