Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dancing 'til Dawn

Wednesday night I went to what has to be one of my favorite random events all year-the New Scotland Disco Ceilidh.  It was the brainchild of a friend of mine, who spent months finding modern(-ish) songs that fit with the steps of traditional ceilidh dances.  There were also several breaks during which I rocked out to music that was popular when I was in middle school, which was awesome.
Here's an example, although the video is really dark.  You can still get an idea of the atmosphere...the dance is called the Arcadian Strip the Willow, which is traditionally the last dance at ceilidhs.  We did it to You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive. WIN.


To get into the spirit, I also wore a dress I'd bought randomly while in Luxembourg over break.  It went over significantly better than I was expecting it to.
demonstrating my surf moves to Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys

a post-ceilidh rendition of the macarena

doing a ceilidh dance to Just Dance by Lady Gaga

macarena

heading off Strip the Willow
SO MUCH FUN.  It was the perfect mid-week revision break, but I was sooooo sore for Highland class the next day.  Oh, well.

Back to the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment