Saturday, May 7, 2011

First Grade Friends 6

Hello Bailey First Graders!

I haven't written to you in a while, because I have been on vacation.  Did you have a nice week off?  Mrs. Stern came to visit Scotland, and I had a great time showing her around!  Here's a picture of us outside the building where I have class:

For my vacation, I went to stay with a friend's family on the Isle of Mull.  Did you know that there are 790 islands that are part of Scotland?  People live on about 94 of those.

Mull is one of the 5 biggest Socttish islands, and is off the west coast of Scotland.  Here's a map, Mull is the red island:
About 2,667 people live on the Isle of Mull.  About 106, 500 people live in Lowell-there are more people in your city than on the whole island!  What do you think it would be like to live somewhere with so few people?

In order to get to Mull, my friend and I took a train and then a boat.  There were lots of mountains around our train track, and the ocean was sunny and beautiful, but it was very windy! Can you see the wind blowing my hair?
Some things that we saw on the way were a lot like Massachusetts.  Have you seen any lighthouses at the beach? Boston Harbor has a lighthouse.  There were some near Mull, too!  Here's one that we went past:
Some things we saw were also different from home.  We even saw a castle!

When we got to Mull, we drove to my friend's house, which is called Sunipol.  Does your house have a name?  What would you name it?

Nearby, there were farms with sheep and cows.  Scotland has a special type of cow that is good at living in colder weather.  They are called Highland Cows.  My friend and I took a walk to see the sheep and cows:


A highland cow named Hamish

We also went to the beach!  It was cold, just like the beaches in Massachusetts.  Do you like going to the beach?  What do you notice about this beach that is different than the beach you go to?
Calgary Beach

my friend at the beach
One day we also went to Tobermory, which is the biggest town on Mull.  The buildings are painted different colors, and looked really cool!  Here are some pictures:

see the painted buildings behind us?
Tobermory is even the town that a TV show, called Balamory, is based on.  You can see the painted buildings in the theme song!


If you made a TV show based on Lowell, what would you call it?

I had a great time on vacation!  In a few weeks, I'll be home in Massachusetts.  If you have any last questions to write me, I will answer them when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment